Thursday, October 12, 2006

Herstory, and a Calling Card.

Welcome to 'blog number four for me. That's right, four. I've been blogging since December of 2000, which makes me a damn pioneer. I spent five years on Xanga, which slowly became the wasteland of the emo kids and little American girls pretending to be Japanese. Then, due to a mishap with a picture (some *ahem* said I wasn't doing a very good job of making my kid into a lesbian), I moved to MySpace. Well, you all know MySpace. It annoyed the everloving hell out of me. Then, my buddy Mikey offered me blogspace on his site. The only problem with that blogspace is that I can't customize it because he screwed up the code - leaving me with default settings that I don't like - and he's busy, he'll never fix it.

I keep wondering why I bother blogging, though - I never remember to hop on and publish. I have great thoughts for great posts when I'm nowhere near the computer. I don't know if it's the popularity disease stopping me, or that I feel like a pretentious twit, or if it's the fact that witter mamas are out there writing wittier blogs. Witty isn't something I accomplish very often - wry I can do. Sarcastic, sure. Outrage, even better at that. What the hell, though. I love writing, and according to a workshop I went to last year it's my "calling card".

So, if you haven't been with me long, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Heather. I'm an AmeriCorps member (just signed on for my second term) - meaning I'm serving my country and community here where I live, instead of in Africa giving polio immunizations (PeaceCorps) or in Iraq getting my ass shot off (Military. Obviously). As for service specifics, I serve low-income moms to be as a doula. I also get people to come in for managed care. I'm married to Kerwin. He apparently blogs too, some political ranting or another. If he ever shares his link with me, I'll add it. We have a marvelously naughty and delightfully precocious two year old daughter, Freyja. Hence the blog title - AmeriMama - being the two things that take up the most time in my life, my AmeriCorps service, and parenting my child.

Settle in. I can't promise I'll post a lot.

Oh, and if you read my archives at Xanga (I don't advise it) do keep in mind that I was "growing up" while I posted there - and utter drivel is to be expected.

3 comments:

karrie said...

Post more, damnit!

D said...

I agree with Karrie! I can tell already I'm going to like your blog - can't wait to see more. :)
Dawn

D said...

Oh, and thanks for the link! As soon as I figure out how to add another category, I'll link you up too.
D