Monday, July 02, 2007

In Conversation, She Spoke Just Like a Baroness

Kerwin, in his infinite geekitude, likes to make mix CD's. His latest effort is surprisingly good and fun. Concerned about the quality of music our spawn hears at daycare (they're not permitted to play anything interesting according to the state, so it's all kiddie crap) and wishing to not set her down the path of her Broadway-musical-loving mother, he has been working on a series: "A Brief Introduction to Rock and Roll". Volume one spans 1956-1974. It begins with Chuck Berry's "Maybelline" and ends with Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".

The songs that Freyja likes best are Elvis's "Return to Sender" (it's the guy! The singing guy from Lilo and Stitch, that's him, yeah?) and Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" (it's the fire song, Daddy! I LOVE this one!).

There's a discussion in the family (between Kerwin and my dad, who is a former radio DJ and station program manager and all-around audiophile) of whether "Ring of Fire" is really Rock and Roll or not. There are a few other songs on the album that they argue about as well.

He did screw up on a couple of the versions. 1958's "La Bamba" is the Los Lobos version, and not Richie Valens. 1957's "Great Balls of Fire" is not the standard version I'm used to hearing.

Yet - I find myself playing it in the car, eschewing "Wicked", "Avenue Q", "RENT" and "Into the Woods". It's a fun mix. And if I press the "back" button to hear "Killer Queen" two or three times - well, it's just because I wish I kept Moet et Chandon in a pretty cabinet.

No comments: