Eden's Movie Quote meme made me think of doing a Musical Theatre meme along the same lines.
Everybody who's nerdy can come and play. There might be a couple of you somewhere.
Same rules - identify the musical that the song snippet is from and quote a song snippet you like from the same show. I'm going from classics to contemporary here. I don't think there's anything too obscure.
Since blogger doesn't allow a cut like livejournal and wordpress do (at least, I haven't found out how to create one), once I start getting answers I will just hide them so you'll have to highlight to read.
1. "Why not both instead/there's the answer if you're clever/have a child for warmth/and a baker for bread/and a prince for...whatever"
2. "I'll show you the proper ploys/when you talk to boys/little ways to flirt and flounce"
3. "I'm a girl men go mad for/love's a game I can play/with a cool and confident sort of air"
4. "What we have here is an ethical dilemma/'Less I help him get the mask removed/He doesn't have a prayer/True the gun as never fired/But the way events transpired/I could finish him with simple laissez faire"
5. "He'd go out every night trying to find himself/and along the way he found Ruth, Rosemary, Gladys, and IRVING/I guess you could say we broke up because of artistic differences/he saw himself as alive/and I saw him dead."
6. "Down once more to the dungeon of my black despair/down we plunge to the prison of my mind"
7. "Did you ever laugh when a waitress falls/and drops a tray of glasses/"
"And ain't it fun to watch figure skaters/falling on their asses?"
"Don't you feel all warm and cozy/watching people out in the rain"
"That's schaudenfreude/people taking pleasure in your pain"
8. "I have confidence in sunshine/I have confidence in rain/I have confidence that spring will come again/besides which you see/I have confidence in me!"
9. "Prove to me that you're no fool/walk across my swimming pool/if you do that for me/then I'll let you go free"
10. "Find - Glory/one last refrain/glory/from a pretty boy frontman/who wasted opportunity"
11. "Tonight, tonight/it all began tonight/I saw you and the world went away/tonight, tonight/it's only you tonight/who you are/what you do/what you say"
12. "Macavity's a mystery cat/he's called the hidden paw/for he's the master criminal/who can defy the law/he's the bafflement of Scotland Yard/the Flying Squad's despair/cuz whatever time the deed took place/Macavity wasn't there"
13. "Mama/Doesn't even have an inkling/That I'm working in a Nightclub/In a pair of Lacy pants."
14. "Shan't I have the normal life a maiden should?/Shall I never be rescued in the wood?/Shall two knights never tilt for me/and let their blood be spilt for me?/Oh where are the simple joys of maidenhood?"